Wall Hanging: L&T SAL 2018

My Linen and Threads SAL project is now a wall hanging!

Wall Hanging from Linen and Threads 2018 SAL

We haven’t selected a place for it in the living room yet, but when we do, this is how it’ll look.

I added decorative crochet edgings to the top and bottom of the piece, a dowel at the top, and a fringe at the bottom. The fringe is still wonky, and I’m hoping to find methods to straighten it. If all else fails, I’ll just find some heavy-ish beads to add to it, and that should do it.

Edging Details of Linen and Threads 2018 Wall Hanging

I made up the crochet edging as I went, and had to redo the first row quite a lot to find the right crochet hook size to work with – scrunching up the cross stitch fabric is obviously a deal breaker. Turns out the 4mm one was perfect. I used the crossed double crochet pattern for the main feature of the edging – though I added a treble crochet stitch, and worked on the wrong side: * sl 2 st, tr in 3rd st, dc in 1st slipped st, dc in 2nd slipped st. *


Knitting-wise, I’ve completed the brioche section of the yoke, and have started finishing the neck using an i-cord bind off. When that’s done, I’ll move to the sleeves.

Amherst Cardigan brioche yoke

Looks like my swatching didn’t catch my distinct loose brioche purl gauge. I tried to fix it as I continued, but it persisted. This definitely calls for more practice! 🙂

During this knit, one of the thin (2mm) bamboo needles that I was using for the brioche section cracked. (Doesn’t that happen to all of us at some point on the job? 😉 ) Well, when I’d bought the needle set, I knew it would happen some day. There are no local yarn stores near me, and I’ve been waiting for discounts on steel needles online, but they never seem to be on. International shipping and possible customs taxes would make the cost prohibitive without discounts, so for now, I’ve bought a cheap set of thin metal needles as replacement – after all, it’s not every day that I use the thin ones! (This might be the first project that I’ve had to go so thin.)

Have you ever had needles crack or come apart during a project?

Advertisements

Wall hanging

This is what came about from an evening or two of knotting leftover yarn from my knitting projects.

Macramé wall hanging

Macramé wall hanging

I’d cut these yarn lengths for another macramé project. That hadn’t gone as well as this one, and I’d abandoned it, salvaging the yarn that remained. The yarn is too thin by itself, so I used a bunch of same-color lengths for a single macramé ‘cord’. Also, the two colors are of different thicknesses and textures, so I compensated by choosing a different number of threads for bunches of one color, and a different number for the other color.

My sister has these wooden sticks, one of which I used as the anchor for this piece. I started out with reverse lark’s head knots, and did some fancy interweaving of cords. I had intended to make basic square knots, but with all that fanciness happening, I ended up not concentrating, and the knots are… well, I don’t think they’re any macramé knots I know. 😀 I realized it soon enough, but felt it was too much effort to undo all the knots I’d made till then, so I continued with the same knot so it would look consistent. As we say at work — “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature.” 😉

To finish the piece, I made sections of double-half hitch knots to get all the cord bunches back to their original pattern. I then strung the bunches through some large-hole beads, and arranged the beads into two lines.

I left the ends as is.

This piece hangs on the wall adjoining my room’s door, and looks awesome when the sunlight hits it, because of the shine in the lighter yarn. I tried seeing if it would go on the door itself, but the colors don’t show very well against the door’s paint. (This calls for another decorative macramé project… A door-hanging decor project!)