Letter holder

Well, it’s been a long time since I did some crochet, and I finally got the opportunity. The table in my room has been collecting old receipts. (I know right, in this age of online everything!) I don’t think I really need them, but I decided to keep them at least until the warranty period of their items expires — warranty periods have gotten shorter anyway. But dusty papers lying forever(ish) on a dusty table? Especially when I need to clear it now and then, at least partially, to make room for my crafty ( 😉 ) endeavors? Why not shove them into a letter holder instead?

So I made a letter holder. After all, I had quite some yarn left over from my projects, and what better use for all that yarn, right? Look at it doing its job!

Letter holder

Letter holder

This letter holder was quite easy to make because almost everything in here is double crochet.

I first made the base with some dark brown super-bulky yarn, and this was the quickest part — I was done before I could say “letter holder”. I started bottom up, increasing the number of stitches at both ends in every row as required. I kept crocheting with the same width until the desired height. I then crocheted one single-crochet row around a wooden rod that I added to stabilize the structure. Finally, I decreased stitches on both ends to reach the top. I made a sturdy loop at the top that I would use to hang the piece.

I then made the granny squares independently. Well, mostly independently, because I used the join-as-you-go method to stitch them together while I made them. I always start granny squares with a magic loop, and this was no exception. I first made the larger piece, then made and attached each smaller piece to it. I’d thought I’d go with one more layer of smaller pieces, but decided not to.

Instead, I added three rows of double crochet in different colors around the granny square ensemble. The piece now looked wide enough to fit the base — slightly bigger, actually, so it has some slack to hold the letters and who-kn0ws-what-I’ll-throw-into-it. I used single crochet join to firmly attach three sides of the front piece to the base. Pre-pinning the pieces at regular distances helped me maintain the same gauge throughout, and get a uniform look.

I now felt that the base looked kinda bald, so I used single crochet to add a fine edging around it. 🙂 This turned out to be good in more ways than one, because it made the piece maintain its shape better.

Finally, I cut a few pieces of yarn and added a tassel at the bottom.

Advertisements

Tote bag motif

I crocheted this circular motif for a joint project — a tote bag that my sister and I decided to make. Though I say it’s a joint project, the sewing of the piece, which is the more tedious work, is handled by my sister. (She sews really well.)

Tote Bag MotifI was watching a movie while I worked on this motif and am not even aware of what exactly I did, but I’m pretty pleased with this piece. 🙂 I started out with a magic loop, and worked circles of chain stitches, single crochet and double crochet until it got big enough. My mom loves the center of the motif, and I agree it looks good, but only because the rest of the piece supports it.

My sister will embellish it with beads before affixing it to the tote. I can’t We can’t wait to use it! [Update: Here’s the tote bag. I love it!]

A crocheted keychain ornament

Crocheted Keychain Ornament

Crocheted Keychain Ornament

I didn’t work much on my cardigan project this past week since I was busy trying to figure out stuff for my new photo-blog, so I thought I’d write about a micro-project that I finished instead — a crocheted keychain ornament. I finally got my house key copy from my dad, so I thought of using some yarn left over from a recent project to make a keychain ornament. The result — a goth-style black flower! It wasn’t flowery in the beginning. In fact, it looked like a medallion (I forgot to click a picture of that) because I’d done chain stitches between the ‘petals’ of the flower, but then I didn’t like how it looked, unraveled that row, and made single crochets between the petals instead. Now, this looks much better.

Hope you, like me, think it’s cute! 🙂

And now that the photo-blog’s started, I can go back to knitting my cardigan in peace.