I finished the February section of the Linen and Threads Mystery SAL, and love how it turned out. This section was nowhere as tedious as last month’s, because it has repeating patterns, which means I wasn’t looking at the chart every few stitches. (I still ended up frogging a few stitches here and there though. Has that ever not happened to anyone? 😉 )
L&T SAL – February finish. Eagerly waiting for March!
I especially like the texture of the long-armed cross stitch. It feels almost embossed to the touch because of the extra thread from the longer arm.
As for knitting, I couldn’t come up with anything better than design #3 for my entrelac-featuring pullover, and when I drew up a colored picture of how I’d want to ‘break away’ the rectangles, I found I like the entrelac strip better if I incorporate two colors from the start. So I’ve frogged and restarted the strip now, and I hope I’ll have made some progress when I post next.
January section of the Linen and Threads SAL is complete! I took some time off the cross-stitch part to make a hem stitch lined, fringed edge, for which I used scrap yarn from my earlier knitting projects. I’m much happier working on the project now, since I don’t run into runaway threads from the edges. 😉
The color difference between left and right is due to a shadow. The embroidery thread is evenly colored.
Here’s a closeup of the hem stitch border. Excuse the color difference – I clicked the pictures on different days.
Hem stitch border
I’m pretty excited to start on February. I just discovered long-armed cross stitch, and I’m using it for the border of the February section. I’ll obviously post a picture later that shows its fabulous texture. 🙂
This section is smaller when compared to last month’s, so I’m hoping to catch up. (Not keeping my fingers crossed though, since February is also shorter, making it a bit hectic so far.)
Two weeks of slow and steady progress on the Linen & Threads Mystery SAL has resulted in this —
This project will not really be framed — it’ll end up as a coffee table runner. I’d originally decided on a single color for the entire project, but then I didn’t like the thought of an entire runner in a single color. On fabric up close (vs. far away on a wall, say), my eye, at least, can only differentiate so many details in a single color. So I’ll use different colors for components wherever possible. The green is new thread (my original color of choice), the green+yellow combo is from old threads, and the thread for the flowers is of a different thickness altogether so its texture is slightly different from the rest of the stitching. Talk about variety! 🙂
I’m getting good cross-stitch practice with this project, and though I’m nowhere near the end of the section for this month, I’m totally enjoying it! When I reach the other end of this section, I’ll work on securing the borders.
My sis got a coffee mug at her job yesterday for their green initiative, and she asked if I could make something to protect the mug, maybe with some old scrap yarn. I did have just the scrap yarn for a crocheted cosy that can double as a cover if I make it slightly longer. Since I started late, I was doubtful of finishing it the same day, but I did finish it, hurrah! (Technically, it was the next day because it was past midnight, but shhh…)
Before I could call it a night, I embroidered a free-form heart on it to add that extra zing! 😉
Coffee mug cosy / cover