Pullover ft. Entrelac

I can’t believe I managed to finish the entrelac pullover before I start the Oshara Shawl MKAL! It’s definitely not what I had in mind when I started experimenting on featuring entrelac, but it’s also definitely not a bad attempt.

Pullover ft. Entrelac | Anita

My main concern in this design was to account for decreases and increases in the entrelac pattern at some point (not counting the obvious one along the body.) Since this project has had its fair share of mistakes and frustrations in the first attempt, I wanted to minimize those. So I chose to start the entrelac from one side of the body – the right seam, as it turns out – and continue towards the left seam. With this approach, the start and finish of the pattern would be easy, the decreases / increases of the entrelac squares would be concentrated on one side – around the neckline – while the other side would just continue as usual. I hoped this would make it manageable, and it definitely did!

Another area where I experimented was with starting the pattern exactly at the seam – I made the pattern run from armhole to hip, and tried increasing its width after a few rows to make it now run from shoulder to hip. This gave mixed results while increasing, so I decided to frog it and use plain stockinette till I increase for the sleeve, and then switch to the pattern. Anyway, that section would be mostly hidden behind my arms. ๐Ÿ™‚ This made my life easier. The seam is pretty visible, though. :-/

The rest of the front was just picking up stitches along the slanting entrelac edge and knitting increasingly longer rows top down. The back is plain stockinette, and so are the sleeves. I wanted the side seams to have slits, and on a whim, also made the back longer. I still don’t know how I feel about this. I think I like it, but if I decide later that I don’t, I can always rip it out and redo the ribbing. (Thank goodness it’s top down!)

I feel that designing with entrelac is definitely a challenge, with its share of table-flipping level of frustrations. But looking back, I think I learned much from the overall experience – I had to think and try out stuff quite a bit. If I make this project again, I think the entrelac will look good as the ‘outside’ of an inverted V, or maybe even the inside of the V, instead of as a simple diagonal. I might need to construct it differently, though. I’ll try that in a few years though, when I’m a better designer. (Fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ˜› )

And what about the MKAL? Yes, I did start it yesterday, and knit quite a bit, before I realized that I was using the wrong color. (I’m using different colors than suggested.) Frogged, restarted; but at least now the pattern is already imprinted in my mind so maybe it’ll go quicker. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oshara Shawl MKAL

16 thoughts on “Pullover ft. Entrelac

  1. I think it turned out very nicely. The diagonal design works, and you could write the pattern just like that and have a very lovely sweater. However, I agree, doing the entrelac in a V shape from the shoulders down to a point above the waist would probably work better. You are way more adventurous than I am.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you! Hopefully, my next entrelac attempt will use the designing experience & wisdom I’ll have gained meanwhile. Even adventures work one step at a time, I guess. ๐Ÿ™‚


  2. P.S. I just ordered some yarn to do the Oshara Mystery Shawl KAL. Never done an “AL” of any kind. This will be interesting as by the time the yarn gets here, The KAL will be over. Oh, well. I’ll have a nice shawl anyway.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. That’s wonderful, hope you enjoy the project! Both the ‘M’ and the ‘AL’ will not be applicable anymore if the yarn arrives late, but you still have the ‘K’, which I too think is worthwhile. (I’m not sure if I can keep up, and if so, I’ll be in the same boat. ๐Ÿ™‚ )


Comments are closed.